Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Grow Long Healthy Hair

Hello lovelies, 

Its my day off and extremely gloomy and rainy out.. of course thats how it always works right? I should be studying for my last two final exams, but at this point studying is not in my interest at all. Does anyone else have that problem, the second you know you need to study you become immersed with thoughts of anything else to do. Like seriously, I could do the recycling and convince myself it'll be more enjoyable than reading my text book. However, I must try and motivate myself. 

But first.... 

Today's post I decided to focus on hair care and how to grow those luscious locks that we all dream of. Many of us complain that our hair "stops" growing, or something like that. But don't be fooled, hair just cannot stop growing for no reason..


Heres some steps that you need to incorporate (if you have not already) into your hair care routine. By doing these steps, your hair will thank you by growing longer and healthier. I have tried all of these steps myself and can safely say that my hair has been growing longer, faster. 



Step 1: Getting regular trims - now I know what you're thinking, "I want to grow my hair long, not chop it off". However in order to grow longer, healthier hair we must remove the dry split ends that cause breakage. When people complain about how their hair "stops" growing, it is likely due to the fact that their hair is breaking off at the ends causing whatever did grow to be wasted. Lets face it, salons are overpriced, so why not do it yourself. Buy a pair of trimming shears, (NOT JUST REGULAR SCISSORS) and look at your ends, trim the split ones only right above where it is split. Now there are many different ways you can do this: sectioning, running your fingers down the hair and see which pops up (those are the split ones), etc. Just make sure your not going to crazy, we are talking about cutting maybe a millimetre off each strand that needs it. I do this whenever I notice my ends are getting bad, or about every two weeks

Step 2: Deep Condition - deep conditioning is needed so the hair can be replenished with the moisture it needs. Regular conditioning is great, but throw in a deep conditioner that you leave in for about 10 minutes in the shower. You're hair will feel so much softer and look shiner. 

Step 3: Do not over-wash - Now I believe this is becoming common knowledge now, but you should not be washing your hair every day. Over washing strips the moisture from your hair and can be very drying, and leads to your scalp overproducing oils to combat the dryness. I know it can be tough in the beginning but take it day by day. Start by washing every other day, then maybe every three days. It is completely normal, if you have thick hair such as myself, to only wash it once every 4 days. How to stop it from looking greasy? Try a dry shampoo. They refreshen your hair and soak up any greasiness that you do have. Baby powder works just as good too. 

Step 4: Use a hair mask - Using a hair mask is extremely beneficial to your locks. It seals in the moisture and lets the conditioner penetrate the hair follicle. Put the mask on dry hair, wrap up your hair in a shower cap and let it sit for 25-30 mins. If you want to quicken the process, using a blowdryer while you are wearing the shower cap can also be effective. 

Step 5: Use a cleansing shampoo - Product buildup can prevent the hair follicle to grow, and can result in hair loss as well. The pores on your scalp can become blocked by the buildup and sometimes your regular shampoo does not remove it completely. Using a cleansing shampoo once every two weeks clears all the product buildup left behind and lets the scalp breath again. This can let the hair grow freely without breaking at the root. Another trick is to switch up your shampoo, sometime the buildup can be caused from use of the same shampoo for too long. 

Step 6: Heat products - this is a tough one I am very guilty of. In order to grow healthy hair, we should all be taking a bit of a break from our heat products. All that heat is damaging and drying to our locks. And if you are going to be using heat products make sure to always use a heat protectant. I straighten my hair almost every day, however I cut out blowdrying. I also make sure that I only do a "full straighten" (every piece of hair) the day after I wash it. After this I just do touch ups instead. 

Step 7: Oils - oils on your hair? Yes. Which you ask? Why there are so many different ones to choose from. Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Argan Oil, Moraccian oil etc. Go crazy with oils!  All these are beneficial to your strands. Make sure to concentrate just on the ends of our hair, as this is where breakage happens first. 

Step 8: Making sure that you are getting enough protein - protein in your diet is actually needed for hair growth. Your hair thrives on proteins so making sure you are getting protein (any from meat, to vegan proteins) in your diet is beneficial! This can prevent hair breakage and loss. 

Step 9: Omega 3 fatty acids - Omega 3 fatty acids are extremely important in maintaining healthy hair. You can get this from eating salmon, flax seed oil, or taking the supplement. Deficinecy in omega 3 can lead to dull hair or even dandruff. 

Well I hope these little steps helped you. Just remember everyones hair grows at different rates for everyone. So be patient! 

Love, Love



 INSTAGRAM || TWITTER ||

No comments:

Post a Comment