Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Redhead Makeup Tips



Hello all!

So I figured for my first post, I would do something pretty close to heart. I, myself being a redhead, find it quite difficult to find tutorials, or even tips for makeup for myself. Now I know that there are probably many other redheads that are guided by certain misconceptions about what they can and cannot do makeup wise. So I wanted to help some of my fellow redheads (and others who want to learn) about some tips for us ginger girls. So here we go!






Tip 1: Matching foundation/find your undertone
Since most redheads are quite fair, we need to be extra cautious when finding a foundation shade. It is like we are given a blank canvas to work on, everything will show up more noticeably if we mismatch.  When matching for a foundation first make sure that you know your undertone. Many redheads have a pink (cool) undertone. You girls want to look for a foundation with that same undertone. On the other side you may have a warm undertone, this means that your skin has yellow or beige in it, personally this is what I have. Matching foundation properly is crucial to a good look, cause nobody wants those orange mask lines!

Tip 2: Freckles
Now us redheads are blessed with usually quite a few freckles. We should not be ashamed of them and try to cover them up. Freckles are beautiful and we should embrace them! Now if you want to cover up your freckles you will have to go with a full coverage foundation. For myself I sort of like what few freckles I have to slightly peak out, which is why I use a medium coverage foundation. My favourite at the the moment is the L'Oreal True Match Lumi.

Tip 3: Yes we can wear bold lips
For so long, I believed that as a redhead I must only stick with nudes/light peaches/light pinks on the lips. However, since our skin is so pale I find that darker shades do look really good! I personally like MAC cosmetics in Diva, or Amorous!

Tip 4: Eyes
Now I find the best colours on my eye are gold tones, warm browns, and deep purple/wine shades. They just make the eyes pop. Again since we are given such a blank canvas, don't be scared to experiment with new shades. Eyeliners like dark plums are going to make your eyes pop. I personally wear black eyeliner still, but make sure not to go to heavy on it, or you could start looking like you have a black eye. If your new with makeup, go for a dark brown oppose to black, it is softer looking but will still look fierce.

Tip 5: Don't forget the sunscreen!
Since we are lacking melanin we need to protect, protect and protect! Opt for a foundation with a SPF of at least 20 in it to prevent from burning the delicate skin on your face. Of course, use a regular sunscreen everywhere else when going out into the sun.

Tip 6: Eyebrows
Since many of us have quite fair (sometimes even blonde!) brows, filling in your brows is a good idea. Of course if you have the time and money you could go for regular tinting, but that can become a slight hassle in my opinion. Simply choose a colour that is a shade darker than your natural eyebrows, preferably something warm and not too ashy. I have eyebrows that are actually extremely ashy so I use a warmer taupe colour to fill them in. Filling in your brows can make the world of a difference in balancing your face! I use the Whitening Lighting Brow Bar to go, in the lightest shade!


Now I hope that some of these tips helped, and always remember no matter what always embrace what you are given! We are all beautiful! Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will talk to you guys next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment